- 3 Tbs oil
- 2 med onions chopped
- 2 boneless pork chops
- 1- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 3- 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1-3 Small cans of tomato paste
- 1/4 C. sugar
- 1 lb Hot Italian sausage
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1-2 Tbs garlic powder
- 1 C. breadcrumbs
- 1/8 Cup grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese
- In a big stock pot on LOW heat, add oil, onions, and pork chops. Brown up for 1 hour to caramelize the onions.
- After the hour add the cans of tomatoes. take each tomato can and fill it 1/4 full of water, getting the last bits of tomatoes off the cans. Add to the pot.
- Stir and cook for 30 minutes on med-low heat.
- After 30 min, add the cans of tomato paste. I start with one and see at the end if the sauce needs to thicken more.
- Add basil, parsley, oregano, and Italian seasoning. As much as you like.
- Add the sugar. This is to cut the acidity of the tomato. You can add more depending on how you’re liking the taste.
- Quarter sausage links and add in the sauce. Cook for 2 hours. A half-hour into cooking, add meatballs.
- with your hands mix all ingredients well. If you have fatty ground beef, then add more breadcrumbs. If you have leaner meat you can use less.
- Roll into balls and drop into the pot.
- let the pot simmer for 1-1/2 hrs.