- 2-lbs green beans ends trimmed & halved
- 1 lb white mushrooms sliced
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbs & 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8-1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1-1/2 cup fried crispy onions
- 1/4 cup panko crumbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add green beans and 1 tbsp salt.
- Cook green beans until bright green and tender
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water. Drain beans and add to the ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Mix the panko crumbs and fried onions in a small bowl with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Set aside.
- To the same pot or saucepan add butter, garlic, and sliced mushrooms, and saute over medium heat.
- Cook until the liquid from the mushrooms is released then add the flour. Combine and stir flour in for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and simmer until well combined.
- Add cream and nutmeg. Simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Add green beans to the sauce and stir until well combined.
- Transfer to a 9×13 baking dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees.
- Add the panko-fried onion topping and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Have the top get golden brown and the sauce is bubbly on the edges.